Act As If in 5 Steps
We’ve all heard the phrase “Fake it until you make it.” Let’s be honest. It sounds trite and usually feels weird when you try it. If you’re like me, you often feel more like a faker than a maker.
I’ve had to do this several times in my life but it wasn’t until recently that I figured out exactly how to make it effective and stick. There’s no “faking” involved. This is about becoming the person that you’ve always wanted to be. This is about getting over your fear, hesitations and excuses. This is about being as supportive of your own goals as you are of the goals of others.
So without further ado, here’s how to Act As If in 5 simple steps:
- Decide exactly what you want?
- Generalities don’t work
- Can be for a specific area of your life or be for a whole life makeover
- It’s your life. Make it one that you want to live!
- Visualize what you want
- What does your ideal life look like?
- Be specific. What does it look, feel, smell like?
- Write it down and Poster it up
- Write the details of your goals down. Writing things down make them more concrete. Once you write down your goal, they’ll become more real and you’ll find yourself thinking about how to achieve your goals.
- Create a real or virtual Goal Board.
- This isn’t a “dream” board because this board is about what you want to achieve, not what you dream about
- Pinterest is a great resource for inspiration for virtual Goal Boards
- Magazines are good resources for physical Goal Boards.
- Imagine how someone who has your ideal life would act?
- How would they act on a daily basis to get and maintain the thing you want?
- What changes would you have to make to be like them?
- Act as if you already have your ideal life and have achieved your goals
- Make the necessary changes your habits
- Dress and act the part
- Take it one day at a time, one change at a time or take on your new life all at once
- See how things change and adjust your plans and actions accordingly.
It may unnatural and difficult at first but using these tips will help you achieve your goals.
Want more tips and to be the first to know about new happenings at New Start Career Coaching? Then sign up for my newsletter. I’d love to contact with you and help you reach new heights!